ORDER BY 12 DECEMBER TO RECEIVE IN TIME FOR CHRISTMAS!* (date now extended)
Worcester Festival Choral Society is delighted to announce some excellent news! A new, full-colour, 236-page, laminated-cover book is about to be published about the fascinating, 160-year history of our Society – one of England’s leading choral societies with an array of achievements to our name.
You may think you already know today’s Society well… but in fact WFCS has been bringing the choral greats to music lovers since 1861, staging more than 350 of its own concerts over the decades and participating in many more. We also provide a large proportion of the singers selected for the renowned Three Choirs Festival Chorus each year.
Now an exciting new book – A Choral Chronicle: The History of Worcester Festival Choral Society – has been written by Chorus member / author Michelle Whitefoot to celebrate our 160 years of bringing the choral greats to Worcester. Packed with fascinating details, new archive research, conductor interviews, member memories and stunning colour photos, A Choral Chronicle traces the Society’s story from its Victorian origins through two constitutions, two World Wars, 11 conductors and the pandemic of 2020. In it you can discover:
• How the Society was born in 1861
• What caused a 20-year hiatus in the late 19th century
• How Sir Edward Elgar developed a special relationship with WFCS
• The truth behind its Conductor Hugh Blair’s mysterious dismissal
• Which Treasurer became a five-time Mayor of Worcester
• How Sir Adrian Boult, Sir Hubert Parry, Samuel Coleridge-Taylor (and more) guest conducted
• How WFCS helped the Second World War effort
• Why the WFCS ‘Centenary Concert’ was a mistake
• How the Society sang at the Royal Albert Hall and for royalty
• Which past singing members went on to wider musical fame
• What goes into programming a Three Choirs Festival
• How modern Conductors prepare for concert day
… and much more
What’s more, 100% of the profits from sales of A Choral Chronicle will go to Worcester Festival Choral Society funds (Charity no. 506826).
Copies are just £25 per book (+ £5 p&p per book if delivery is required). You can choose from a range of payment and pick-up/delivery options.
For pre-Christmas availability* please pre-order your copies by 12th December 2020 (date now extended). To order, either:
: It is almost certain that your book(s) will be available for collection, or home delivered to you, a few days before Christmas – but this is of course subject to lockdown and logistics in the coming weeks. We will contact those picking up in person as soon as their order is ready for collection (from Bygones of Worcester
) in due course. For customers who have requested postal delivery, their book(s) will be posted out as soon as they are printed. AN UPDATE WILL ALSO BE POSTED ON THIS PAGE AS SOON AS THE BOOKS ARE IN STOCK AND AVAILABLE FOR COLLECTION / POSTED OUT - WE ESTIMATE THIS WILL BE AROUND 16th DECEMBER.
SO… please order your copies without delay, support WFCS and enjoy some fascinating choral reading!